Thursday, August 6, 2009

I think that is the case

Obviously, I love the whole of WDW, but if I had to rank the parks from favorite to least, Magic Kingdom would be tops by a ginormous margin and Animal Kingdom would bring up the rear. I don't hate Animal Kingdom and usually spend the better part of a day there on my trips, but generally, it's not a repeat stop like the other parks.

Since Buster is slightly enamored with animals I figured I'd spend a bit more time there this go around. We did. Just not looking at animals. Sure, we did the safari and gawked at all the animals, even took a few pictures along the way. For some reason, Buster has an odd fear of rhinos and was fearful they would come after him if he left the safari vehicle. Being as Disney and good, old common sense frowns upon leaving the vehicle, I assured him we were probably safe if we followed the rules. Maybe not as much adventure that way, but it greatly increased our chances of walking out with all limbs intact and our skeletal systems free of any fractures.

But what really grabbed Buster's goat was the new Expedition: Everest roller coaster. He'd been rather geeked up about it all along. I had told him before we left that I would ride anything he wanted to ride, but honestly figured once he saw Everest, he'd back out. I think Custer guessed more correctly at Little Big Horn. We did it once, which was fair enough. My eyes shut most of the way, praying he'd never want to do it again. My prayers were answered for about 10 minutes. And then we hit it 5 times in a row whilst Marisol patiently waited in the gift shop. Thanks, Mom. Somewhere in the middle of the second ride, I was able to open my eyes and maybe, almost enjoyed ride #3. The fourth spin found things getting a little dicey in the stomach region and on the fifth I vowed I would not ride Everest again on this trip. Had we not told Buster firmly that that was it for the day, he'd probably still be riding it right now.

Everest was not reserved just for fun, however. I also used it as an opportunity to drop some knowledge on him, telling him all about the real Mt. Everest. I know all about it since I watched both seasons of Everest on Discovery Channel; not because I actually read a book or really cared. Though it took some convincing, he did finally accept that this tall structure, for WDW, was not, in fact, the highest peak in the world. That there was an actual, real Everest and it's taller than all the buildings put together on the entire Disney complex. His mind was blown and he scarcely said much the rest of the day. I suppose a crack about his silence being a blessing would be a bit too predictable.

Speaking of predictable, there is the Florida weather. In the summer, it's always going to be hot, humid and one can count on an afternoon thunderstorm just about every day. This trip was no different, except that I discovered that when it rains really, really hard Disney has really, really bad drainage. So I squished around Hollywood Studios and Epcot on subsequent evenings wondering how they could bring Abe Lincoln to life, but put enough of a slope on walkways for water to run off. I vowed to fire off a nasty letter to the powers that be about such matters, but have thus far resisted the urge. Like most white folk, I find civil disobedience and community activism ain't all that important once you get home. Unless its something really important, like the cable going out or McDonald's getting one's order wrong. Then it is on.

No comments: